I have a claim to report. What do I do?

If you have a claim to report please advise us without delay, if at all possible. On weekends, outside of normal business hours and during holidays expect delays in contacting our office. In the meantime, be sure to protect your vessel from further damage. This is your first priority. Retain receipts for any emergency expenditures you have made.

You may make any emergency repairs necessary to prevent further damage including emergency haulout if the vessel is in danger of sinking.
Use common sense. If a cleat is ripped out of the deck there is not much danger of sinking, but if the bilge pump is running continuously, haul your boat.

Once you have made arrangements to protect the vessel from further damage or loss you should then report the accident/claim to us.

Use the form choices to the left and file online or download and print our claims form and fax your claim. Report your claim only once.

Remain calm. We are here to assist you.

If someone has been injured they must seek medical attention. Do it now.

Sinking or stranding
If the insured vessel is sinking you must immediately make arrangements to have the vessel pumped out, raised, and taken to a nearby boat yard for hauling.

If you have had a theft of your property or of the vessel, report the theft to the local police or marine authority. Do not delay. If possible, take photos of any damage due to the theft. Please obtain a copy of the police report for your insurer. Also obtain the name or badge number of the officer who took the report.

Tender or dinghy losses have important restrictions. Please refer to our informative article Love Me Tender

Master’s Protest
Some underwriters require a Master’s Protest be filed. If so, we will notify you and ask you to complete one for their file. Not all underwriters require this form.

After your report is sent to us
When we have been made aware of your loss we will report it to your insurer as soon as possible. They will assign a loss adjuster to contact you and take your statement regarding the loss and adjust the claim.

Due to the international aspects of cruising it may be difficult to contact you on a timely basis. Despite this, we have had mostly good experiences with insurers, adjusters and loss surveyors.

Keep in mind, after the initial excitement and urgency has been dealt with, the adjuster has other files to handle as well, particularly when there are catastrophic losses, such as a hurricane, torrential rains, earthquake, etc.

Obtain estimates to repair damages you are claiming for. Whenever possible provide two estimates. Do not send them to us unless we request them. Your adjuster will need them to assist you in your claim. Take plenty of photos.
Do not claim for damages other than those caused by the claim you are reporting. Damages from previous losses or unrepaired prior damage are not covered.

If in doubt contact us by telephone or fax or write to us for assistance. We are here to assist you at all times.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.